Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Acupuncture? Okay, I'll try it...

Throughout this journey, I have done probably millions (slight exaggeration) of hours of research online. I've tried almost everything- drinking cough syrup, vitamins, eating pineapple core, not drinking alcohol or coffee, relaxing, working out, not working out, grapefruit juice... I've seriously tried a lot of stuff. But one thing that kept coming up in my research was acupuncture. To be honest, every time I read about it, I thought to myself "oh, I'll never have to get to that point." Well, here I am. So after checking with my insurance to see if they cover it, I decided to try it out. (Note- my insurance only covers a portion of it after I have met my deductible, but thankfully due to all the doctor's visits and testing, we have met it for the year.)

My RE referred me to a fertility acupuncturist, and my first appointment was two weeks ago. I was really nervous! The acupuncturist first off asked to look at my tongue (weird). She immediately told me I needed to change my diet. No more cheese, ice cream, red meat, caffeine, alcohol... all the good stuff. She said that my tongue indicated I had a very acidic pH level, and that is not a good thing. Her theory was that the high acidic pH level can cause your body to attack anything foreign (i.e. a baby), which could be the cause of the very early losses we have experienced. Do I buy into that? I am not really sure. But I can say that I do eat horrible and it's worth a shot to make the change, so I immediately started on the new diet, for the most part. I still have coffee when I need it, and wine also. And added bonus, in 1.5 weeks, I have lost 5 lbs. Yay! Anyway, she did the acupuncture and it was not bad at all. It was actually quite relaxing! When I went back for week two, she asked to look at my tongue again (weird) and she said that the change in my diet was already helping! I go back for appointment three later this week. I will continue to go weekly until she tells me otherwise. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

More to come...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hmmm. I wonder what my tongue would say about me. Keep up the good work! So proud of you!

Unknown said...

I can only imagine all the researches that you've done to treat your infertility. There's no harm in trying all of them, and I'm glad that you considered taking acupuncture. Moreover, it's nice to know that all your efforts are worth it since you've given birth to an awesome child! Thanks for sharing your story! How are you now?

Loura Swader @ USHealthWorks.com (Gilroy Center)

Post a Comment