Friday, January 25, 2013

Post Op Appt

We met with Dr. P today to discuss the findings of my surgery, results of my RPL (Recurrent Pregnancy Loss) blood work, and our next steps. Overall, I feel very optimistic, and it's been a long, long time since I have felt that way. 

Surgery Results
Your uterus should be convex, but mine was concave (which is also called a septum). They made a slit in the septum and this should fix the problem. We now have to hope that no scar tissue forms. After I start my next period (any day now), I will go back for a sonohystogram (they fill the uterus with saline and do an ultrasound to check for any abnormalities in the uterus). Assuming there is no scar tissue, we can start trying again after the next period. 

RPL Bloodwork
All of my tests came back negative/normal, except one: MTHFR. This gene essentially is responsible for the processing of folic acid, which can cause problems when you are pregnant. There is an upside to this though- when testing for MTHFR, they test for two different mutations- the C677T and A1298C mutations. Dr. P says that you experience issues when you have two copies of one of those and one copy of the other. I only had one copy of each. He is not worried about this finding, but does want me to increase my folic acid going forward. 

Next Steps
After I start my period (any day now), I will schedule a sonohystogram to check for scar tissue. (prayers that there is none!) Then after my next period, we will try another IUI. We asked Dr. P what his thoughts were and if he thought we should do the IUI or IVF, and he said that there is nothing telling him we should do one or the other. He said if we do the IUI, he won't charge us for it. He is so awesome! So I think we'll give it another go, and if it doesn't work, we might take some time off, and try IVF in the fall. I don't really know. We haven't got that far. 
 
All in all, I think this all sounds like really positive news, and I'm excited to get the ball rolling.

0 comments:

Post a Comment